Lentil Burgers with Cashew Dijon Sauce
Healthy burgers - baked not fried. Packed with goodness & lightly spiced flavor. Paired with an indulgent cashew dijon sauce - just add your favourite burger toppings & bun! (Or have as a light snack on its own!)
- ¾ cup (100g measured cooked) Peeled and Diced Beets
- ½ cup (77g) Cooked Brown Rice [Equals roughly 1/17 cup (34g) uncooked rice]
- 1 ¼ cup (67g) Finely Sliced Leek
- 1/3 cup (34g) Finely Diced Shallots
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp (20g) Flaxseed Meal
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Water
- 1 cup (154g) Cooked Lentils
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (69g) Chickpea Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- ½ Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ¾ tsp Ground Mustard
- ½ cup (77g) Cooked Brown Rice
- ½ tbsp (8ml) Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Red Wine Vinegar
Cashew Dijon Sauce
- ¾ cup (96g) Raw Cashews
- ½ cup (118ml) Unsweetened Soy Milk
- 3 ½ tbsp (52 ml) Dijon Mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp (22ml) Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Soy Sauce
- ¼ tsp Salt
- To cook the beets, start by boiling a pot of water. Peel and dice the beet. Boil the diced beets until soft, 30 minutes or so.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven at 425F/218C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Cook the lentils if not already cooked. To cook lentils: Bring water to a boil, stir in dry lentils and simmer for about 15-18 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a pan or skillet on medium-low heat. Sauté the leek and shallots. Add a tbsp of water to deglaze the pan as needed. Monitor the heat and stir often to prevent sticking. The onions should be cooked in 7 to 9 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the cooked and chopped beats, along with the lentils. Add the remaining ingredients. Do not process too much, otherwise the burgers will have no texture. Aim for more of a burger texture, and not hummus texture. Stop the food processor to scrape down the sides as needed to help the food processor.
- Scoop out 8 balls of burger mix on the baking sheet, evenly spaced and sufficiently distanced. Press down with your hand and tuck in around the sides to shape into round burger patties. (To shape the burger dough balls in your hands instead, first wet them with water and shake off the excess. Repeat in between burger patties.)
- Bake for 20-23 minutes, turning half way.
- Serve as desired.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Freezer friendly.
Cashew Dijon Sauce
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 10 minutes to soften.
- Drain and rinse. Blend with the remaining ingredients until smooth, stopping and scraping with a silicone spatula as needed to help blend as smoothly as possible.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 5-7 days.