Savory Mushroom Oatmeal with Tempeh Bacon
Smoky tempeh bacon with savoury risotto-style oats mixed with grilled zucchini, mushroom and tomatoes, topped with tangy lemon juice and a little tahini hit.
- 2 strips (36g) Lightlife Smoky Tempeh, finely chopped
- 1 cup (73g) Chopped Mushrooms
- ⅔ cup (83g) Finely diced Zucchini
- ½ cup (83g) Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Pepper
- 2 tbsp (11g) Chopped green onions
- ¾ cup (80g) Old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp (5g/15ml) Nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp (2ml) Onion powder
- ¼ tsp (1ml) Garlic powder
- 1 ¼ cup (296ml) Vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Tahini
- 1 tbsp (15ml) Lemon juice
Preheat a pot or frying pan on medium heat. Sauté the chopped tempeh until golden on both sides.
Once done, add in the mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook the veggies until softer and most of the liquid is gone. Monitor the heat so nothing sticks to the pan.
Add in the oatmeal, along with the nutritional yeast, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix to incorporate. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a soft boil. Mix often. Simmer until the oats are cooked to your liking.
Before serving, add the tahini and lemon juice. Mix well and serve.