Hearty hot pot stew with chickpeas and a peanut twist on a traditional favourite. Sweet potatoes and a flavoursome spice blend make this an all-time popular choice for evening dinner (especially warming on the cooler winter evenings!)
- 1 cup (115 g) Chopped red onion
- 1 cup (103 g) Chopped Sweet mini Peppers
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cup (300g) Peeled and finely diced sweet potato
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) Onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Paprika
- 1/4 (1.25 ml) tsp Thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Crushed peppers
- 1/8 tsp (0.6 ml) Cayenne pepper
- 796 ml / 28 oz Peeled tomatoes in tomato juice
- 3 cups (710 ml) Vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup (183g) Peanut butter
- 1 tin (540 ml) Chickpeas
- 80g Kale, de-stemmed and chopped
In a heavy-bottomed pot, sauté the onion and sweet mini peppers. Add the salt and pepper and mix. Cook for a few minutes, then add the minced garlic and mix. Lower the heat and sauté for one minute.
Then add the chopped sweet potatoes and the seasonings.
Blend together the vegetable broth and the canned tomatoes until smooth. Add to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the peanut butter, mix well, and simmer (soft boil) another 5 minutes.
Add the chickpeas and kale. Simmer another 3 minutes, just to warm up the chickpeas and soften the kale.
Let stand 5 minutes and serve.